took the disassembled calipers to a machine shop and had them bead blasted and I painted with 3 coats caliper paint and 3 coats clear coat then reassembled with parts from the caliper rebuild kit. Here's some pics of the process I went through:

Here's what I started with
Name:  Calipers dirty.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  49.3 KB

After Bead Blasting at the machine shop
Name:  Bead Blasting.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  61.1 KB

Carefully mask parts not to be painted
Name:  Prep for Paint.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  62.5 KB

I used coat hangars to suspend the calipers for painting
Name:  Painting.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  35.6 KB

After painting completed
Name:  painted.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  56.2 KB

After assembly with caliper rebuild kits installed with new pads
Name:  Assembly.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  51.7 KB

I also gave the rotor shield an acid bath and painted with caliper paint and clearcoat.
Name:  Rotor Shield.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  47.3 KB

And final assembly back on the car...
Name:  Back Together 5.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  69.7 KB